Just get out and do it.

Welcome to my blog, Garden for Your Life! This site will be mostly about my garden, but you can build one just like it in your back yard too. It can be bigger or smaller, just get out and do it. You can do it for fun. Your can do it for your health. You can do it for fresh food in these troubled times. The point is to get out and do it for whatever reason that you need.

Over time I will cover topics like canning and preserving your harvest, soil and beds, bugs, what to plant and when, and much more.

I've been working on this garden on mine and improving on it for over five years now. I will continue doing that for many more. You can too, just get out and do it.

Ken

Monday, March 18, 2013

The Garden is in!

Howdy,

Well the garden is finally finished!  Those beds are here to stay!  The plastic wood is very heavy and a full inch thick.  I have 6 total 12 footers and 3 total 16 footers.  That's 9 beds and 10 cubic yards of garden soil I had to haul.  I'll add another 6 inches of Mel's mix come the fall as finances improve. 

Here's what my beds used to look like.

Three 6 foot beds to the right

Four 6 foot beds and Four 3 foot beds to the left.

  All the beds were made of salvaged fencing when my fence was blown down by hurricane Ike.  After four years it was time to replace them and space them better.  Ive also increased my garden square footage from 234 square feet to 360 square feet.  

After I moved and straightened the fence this is how it turned out!

My 12 footers to the left!

My 16 footers to the right.


Broccoli, Napa cabbage, and some root crops.

Blackberries and strawberries under them!

Green Peppers with marigolds to help repeal bugs.
Egg Plant on the close end.  Basil at the other end of the front half.  In the other half Jalapeno's, Serrano peppers, and Hungarian hot wax peppers.

In the back bed Tomatillo's in the front half.  Slicing and cherry tomato's in the back half.  The two closer beds both have Roma tomato's.  My other two beds will have corn in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment