Just get out and do it.

Welcome to my blog, Garden for Your Life! This site will be mostly about my garden, but you can build one just like it in your back yard too. It can be bigger or smaller, just get out and do it. You can do it for fun. Your can do it for your health. You can do it for fresh food in these troubled times. The point is to get out and do it for whatever reason that you need.

Over time I will cover topics like canning and preserving your harvest, soil and beds, bugs, what to plant and when, and much more.

I've been working on this garden on mine and improving on it for over five years now. I will continue doing that for many more. You can too, just get out and do it.

Ken

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The first harvesting has begun!

Howdy y'all,

The rains have let up for a while, 5", so out to the garden I went to check on things.  I quickly pulled in a quart of blackberries and bagged them up for a couple of friends.  We got the garlic out before this weeks rains and it's hanging up to dry.  Beans are going into that bed. The Dill weed has been harvested and dried in our new dehydrator from Cabela's.  Now we are picking the seed heads and drying the seeds.  More than enough for our pickling needs for sure.  All the rest is growing great.  Here's the pictures.

My potatoes are dying back and peeking through the top of the soil.  I harvested some and the new potatoes are the best! The Kale is still surviving although some are in bloom.  Gonna harvest some of those seeds for next year.  

We planted lavender in several places and it's doing great.


We are going to have a bumper crop of blackberries.  I see lots of jam and fruit leathers in my future. 

My tomatoes have exploded out of their cages.  After those fruits on the end get harvested i'll have to trim them back a bit.


There's going to be a lot of cherry and yellow pear tomatoes ready real soon.


My Squash beds and peppers are all green and in flower.  The dill bed is almost done, except for a few seed heads left to cut and dry.  Pickles and cucumbers will replace the dill

There is nothing prettier than tomatillo lanterns hanging.  I can't wait for some fresh Salsa Verde!

Stevia in the front and Lemon balm in the back

Sweet and hot peppers looking great.  The lady next door will be happy when I give her some of those hot peppers for pico!



The rabbits with the fronts open, enjoying the cool air

My newest addition to the farm, eight new American Chinchilla rabbits, born on mothers day.

Three of the girls plus one off to lay a fresh egg.


The last batch before I bag it up for a friend


No comments:

Post a Comment