Just get out and do it.

Welcome to my blog, Garden for Your Life! This site will be mostly about my garden, but you can build one just like it in your back yard too. It can be bigger or smaller, just get out and do it. You can do it for fun. Your can do it for your health. You can do it for fresh food in these troubled times. The point is to get out and do it for whatever reason that you need.

Over time I will cover topics like canning and preserving your harvest, soil and beds, bugs, what to plant and when, and much more.

I've been working on this garden on mine and improving on it for over five years now. I will continue doing that for many more. You can too, just get out and do it.

Ken

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Stewed tomatoes

I'm all out of stewed tomatoes!  Time to make a batch asap for some Chili Mac.

I start with 20 pounds of Roma tomatoes, 10 large bell peppers, 5 large onions and one large celery.  Chop the onions, peppers, celery and set to the side in the fridge.

I then heat up a large pot of water to scald the tomatoes.

After that they go into a bowl of cold water, and off with thier skins!


Chop them up.  Add all the parts together in a pot.  Add your favorite spices like, Salt, Pepper, and Garlic.   The spices used are done to taste.  There is enough tomatoes for 12 quarts in two batches. The spices I added are 1 tablespoon salt and pepper and two heaping teaspoons of chopped garlic.  Really just add as much as you want to taste.  Feel free to experiment and add some hot peppers for a Rotel flavor.   Cook for a few minuets and bottle.

                                        

Into the pressure canner it goes, 10 pounds pressure, and after twenty minuets they are done.  Fresh Chili Mac tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment